Your diet is a key part to your overall health and well being, but did you know that adding certain foods to your diet can actually help improve your eyesight?
We all know about carrots a great source of vitamin C. Our mothers have told us to eat them for years, but there are many other nutrient rich foods to add to our diets that can help us. Many of them you may already eat.
Powerful Antioxidants And Nutrient Rich Foods
- Lutein & Zeaxanthin – Found in green leafy vegetables, as well as eggs, they help reduce the risk of chronic eye disease.
- Vitamin C – Found in fruits and vegetables, evidence suggests that vitamin C lowers the risk cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- Vitamin E – Found in nuts, fortified cereals and sweet potatoes, research suggests it protects the cells in the eyes.
- Essential Fatty Acids – Like omega-3 fatty acids, they are essential to the diet and fuel cells and boost the immune system.
- Zinc – It’s a helper molecule that brings vitamin A from the liver to the retina.
Make sure these foods are balanced in your diet and you’ll go a long way to helping your eyes fight against many diseases and overall health. If you have questions about your diet and its impact on your eye health, contact the Royal Oak Eye Care team. We’re here to help!
image credit: Michael Kappel on flickr