We know that eating the right foods and having routine eye exams are steps to maintain eye health, but one of the lesser thought of tactics is protective eye wear. We want to make sure that you know what to look for when purchasing sunglasses and protective eye wear, so we’ve offered some tips below:
- Wear protective eye wear any time that your eyes are exposed to UV light. This can include cloudy days and winter months.
- Look for quality sunglasses that offer 99 to 100 percent of UVA and UVB radiation and screen out 75-90 percent of visible light.
- Make sure your sunglass lenses are perfectly matched in color and free of distortions and imperfections.
- Gray colored lenses are best. They reduce light intensity without altering the color of objects.
- Children and teens need sunglasses too. They typically spend more time in the sun than adults do.
For more tips on protecting your eyes in the sun, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help.
image credit: Ramesh Ram on flickr