We know that eating the right foods and having routine eye exams are steps to maintain eye health, but one of the lesser thought of tactics is protective eye wear. We want to make sure that you know what to look for when purchasing sunglasses and protective eye wear, so we’ve offered some tips below:
- Wear protective eye wear any time that your eyes are exposed to UV light. This can include cloudy days and winter months.
- Look for quality sunglasses that offer 99 to 100 percent of UVA and UVB radiation and screen out 75-90 percent of visible light.
- Make sure your sunglass lenses are perfectly matched in color and free of distortions and imperfections.
- Gray colored lenses are best. They reduce light intensity without altering the color of objects.
- Children and teens need sunglasses too. They typically spend more time in the sun than adults do.
For more tips on protecting your eyes in the sun, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help.
CLICK HERE TO CONTACT ROYAL OAK EYE CARE
image credit: Ramesh Ram on flickr
Indeed, when you are exposing your eyes to the sun, it is good to have sunglasses to protect them. Keeping those healthy is super important, for we use them every day of our lives. You can get by without them, but it’s so much easier to not have to bother.
It is good to know that you should still wear sunglasses on cloudy days and during the winter months. Even though the sun’s rays aren’t as powerful during those times, it is still smart to protect your eyes. The sun can still cause damage to them!
A lot of people lay out during the warm months in order to get a nice tan. But, I am sure that can be super damaging to their eyes! It would be smart for them to wear sunglasses while laying out. That can hopefully limit the amount of damage the sun can cause to their eyes.